Name That Song (aka Name That Sin/Virtue/Gift)

OK, here’s the scoop for this coming Monday’s Confirmation intensive.

Now, before I share this, I want to make a disclaimer that I may have made before but bears repeating. The activity I’m about to describe to you took many hours – several days, actually - to plan. I want to make it clear that the average catechist is NOT expected to spend this much time planning sessions. Please remember that, for all intents and purposes, I am a full-time professional catechist (if there is such a thing) and I have the luxury of sitting at my desk all day brainstorming and then planning these types of experiences. That’s why I am eager to share them with you because most catechists are lucky to be able to spend an hour or so preparing for lessons due to something called “life!” :)

Having said that, here’s what I’d like to offer. The focus of this session will be on “the SEVENS”: the deadly sins (the “poison”); the virtues (the “antidote”); and the Gifts of the Holy Spirit (the “ingredients” for the “antidote”). By the way, this session draws from chapter 5 of Confirmed in the Spirit. I have found contemporary songs that speak to EACH of these items (yes, 21 songs) and the gist of the evening will be the catechists playing segments of these songs and inviting the young people to match them to the appropriate deadly sin, virtue, or Gift of the Holy Spirit that are being focused on in that mini-session. This will occur over 5 separate mini-sessions, each 10 minutes long. I’ll spare the remaining details and offer you the good stuff. Here’s my list of songs that I think speak to the 7 deadly sins, the 7 virtues, and the 7 Gifts of the Holy Spirit. I’d love to hear your thoughts, comments, suggestions.

Deadly Sins

Virtues

Gifts of the Spirit

Pride – excessive focus on self

Alice Cooper: I’m the Coolest

Faith – focus on God

U2: I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For

Courage – the strength to focus on God in the face of challenges

Bob Marley: Get Up, Stand Up

Envy – resentment of others

Hilary Duff: Who’s That Girl?

Charity – love of God and others

Black Eyed Peas: Where is the Love?

Right Judgment – seeking the advice of others, giving advice to others

Sloth – lack of hope in God’s goodness

Reliant K: Apathetic Way to Be

Hope – confidence in God’s goodness

REM: Everybody Hurts

Understanding – recognizing God’s goodness

Johnny Nash: I Can See Clearly Now

Note: you’ll see that I have these arranged in such a way so that the virtue is offered as an “antidote” to the deadly sin, and the Gift of the Spirit can be seen as an ingredient in that “antidote.”

, , , , ,

26 Responses to “Name That Song (aka Name That Sin/Virtue/Gift)”

1. Janet Says:

Wow, Joe! Thank you! I’m just working on virtues with my freshmen right now – this is perfect! One of my goals this year has been to present a variety of prayer types and tools to the kids, and I’ve definitely “found what I’m looking for!” These song selections are right on target for teens. I wonder how many have videos on Youtube. Even the chart alone is a great resource to pass along to the kids – “If you’re ever feeling ____, try listening to _____.”
    Thanks for sharing your hours of work with those of us just barely getting by! :-)

Janet, so good to hear from you. I’m sure you’re doing a bang-up job with those freshmen! That’ll be cool if you can use these tunes with them for your virtues lesson. Let me know how it goes!

3. Amy Says:

Wow!! I am so thankful to have “happened across” your site!! I am an 8th grade catechist and have a really tough group this year! Your site has been such an inspiration for me!! And next month we have a night class on the Gifts of the Holy Spirit – this will be perfect!! Thank you for so graciously sharing your hard work and dedication!

Hi Amy and thanks for the kind words. Welcome to catechistsjourney.com!

We 8th grade catechists often feel like Rodney Dangerfield, eh? “Tough crowd! Tough crowd! I get no respect!”

I hope some of the ideas you’re finding here go a long way in assisting you in taming that group of yours! Let me know how the night class on the Gifts of the Holy Spirit goes!

5. Kendall Says:

Joe/Amy,

Amy, I can relate. I’m in my 8th yr teaching RE and my 5th w/ 8th grade Confirmation class. I’ve got the most unruly group ever.
    Joe, this exercise may be just what I need to reach them. Thanks so much.

God Bless.

Kendall,
    It just goes to show that it’s not just the new catechists who encounter unruly behavior. Here you are with 8 years experience and still finding it a challenge. I hope this activity works for you although I must warn you that it may serve to further incite unruly behavior (if you are actually going to play the songs). Keep the focus on the kids and challenge them to explain how the songs connect with the sins/virtues/gifts. Let us know how it goes!

7. Stacey Says:

I love that i came across this site. A group i am involved with are curently organising a show based around being rescued from our sins. I was wondering do you have other songs expressing the sins that i could add to the ones you already have up to lengthen our performance?

Stacey, I don’t really have a “B” list of songs to offer you. Best thing to do would be to Google “songs about…” and insert the various sins and variations thereof. Then, Google the lyrics of those songs to see if they work for you. It’s a bit time consuming. Good luck!

9. Karen Says:

Joe,

In my 7th/8th grade RE class, I do a religious version of the game/show “Are You Smarter Than 7/8th Grader?” I am running out of sources for the questions, and the children really enjoy this game. Any reccomendations?

Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen, I’m sure there are a number of Catholic trivia sites on the Web. In addition, I personally write the “What’s Your Catholic IQ?” feature for Catechist magazine each month – 20 multiple choice questions on various aspects of the Catholic faith. Maybe that can be of help to you.

11. Debbie Says:

My Religion Teacher is looking for the song that one of our teachers learned that helped them when they were preparing for confirmation to remember the the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit. Have you every heard the song?

Hi Debbie. I’m sorry but I’m not aware of a song that specficially teaches the Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit. Anyone out there know of such a song?

• Jenna Keller Says:

I realize this was posted over two years ago, but a few friends of mine put together a video about the gifts of the Holy Spirit and one of them wrote a song about them. The video is called “7 gifts. 7 minutes.” and you can find it here: http://vimeo.com/18644005

I hope that helps! btw – I really enjoy this idea with the songs, sins, virtues, and gifts. Thank you! :)

12. Mary Ann Says:

Thank you so much for all the music research! What a wonderful way to reach the middle- school gang – and grab their attention. We are always looking for ways to engage the students and music will reach many of them! I can’t wait to share this with my catechists.

13. Glenda Says:

Thank you so much for your generosity as you continue share great ideas for us to take back to our parishes! Happy New Year and God Bless!

14. Janet Fiatoa Says:

Will this work for 5th graders?

15. Kyle Kowaleski Says:

Hi Joe

In case someone wants to actually play/show clips, the newest music show from Celtic Thunder covers “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”. It is on both their CD and DVD.

16. Rose Says:

Hi Joe,

I am new to your blog, though as catechist several years ago, I received one of your books as a gift from the parish. I found the blog while looking for music ideas for confirmation prep. I cannot seem to find the list of these songs on the blog. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks and God bless you (and all who participate in your blog) in the wonderful sharing of your gifts!

Rose

Hi Rose and welcome to the blog. I have done a number of posts on using music in catechesis. In particular, I did an activity using music to describe the 7 deadly sins, the 7 virtues, and the 7 Gifts of the Spirit. Here it is:

Deadly Sins
      Pride – excessive focus on self
      Alice Cooper: I’m the Coolest

Envy – resentment of others
      Hilary Duff: Who’s That Girl?

Anger – uncontrolled hatred, acting without thinking
      Nickelback: Just For

Avarice – excessive desire for wealth and abundance
      Beatles: Money

Gluttony – excessive desire for food and drink
      Dave Matthews Band: Trippin Billies

Lust – sexual desires that disrespect the dignity of others
      John Mayer: You’re Body is a Wonderland

Sloth – lack of hope in God’s goodness
      Reliant K: Apathetic Way to Be

Virtues
      Faith – focus on God
      U2: I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For

Charity – love of God and others
      Black Eyed Peas: Where is the Love?

Prudence – the ability to think before acting

Reverence – respect for God and others
      Jagged Edge: Respect

Understanding – recognizing God’s goodness
      Johnny Nash: I Can See Clearly Now

• Rose Says:

Joe,

Thank you very much! I have enjoyed browsing through all the other postings on music including your suggestions on how to find songs that relate to a specific theme!

I have enjoyed your book (Catechist’s Toolbox) and have found the book and the many posts here very helpful.

I was browsing for Middle School, High School and Confirmation prep ideas. I am not a cathechist this year but am involved in various ways and my own children are in the programs. (By the way, I also found the video (vimeo) on the new translation!)

Your resources have inspired me to think of new and exciting ways to reach out to our parish youth!

Thanks again,

Rose

17. Lynn Says:

Joe,
    Thank you so much for this phenomenal activity!! I have used it for the past 3 years going on 4 for my confirmation class. Using music teenagers relate to really helps them retain the lesson. Now I think every time they hear one of these songs they search their memory banks as to what sin, virtue or gift related to that song!
    Blessings,