Here’s another brief clip of my visit to catechist Nick Yonto’s 5th grade class that shows him continuing his preparations as the students arrive. Watch as Nick:
- fills the board with prayer responses, definitions, and directions that he will refer to throughout the session
- spends a few moments preparing the computer and video screen to show an image of the Last Supper about half way through the class.
- interacts with students as they arrive, drawing their attention to the directions he’s placed on the board to get them busy working the moment they settle in.
Although you won’t be able to hear a lot of what Nick is saying, watch for his style: professional yet cordial and friendly. He deals individually with students’ questions and gives directions in a thoughtful manner and tone. As a result, notice how quiet the kids are as they gather (I avoid showing the kids on film in order to protect their privacy).
- What information can/do you put up on the board before class begins?
- What technology issues do you sometimes need to deal with before class starts?
- How do you interact with students as they arrive?