If your efforts to call forth catechists boil down to an “all call” approach (a bulletin announcement inviting anyone to respond to a need), you will not have much success. The most effective way to call people to the vocation of serving as a catechist is through PERSONAL INVITATION!
One catechetical leader recently told me that, last year, she made 43 individual contacts (either in person or by phone) and ended up with the best “crop” of catechists she ever had! The personal touch is simply the most appropriate way to call people to a vocation. With that in mind, let’s take a look at the “pool” of potential catechists in your parish:
- Catechist aides
- Parents of participants in RE
- Retired parishioners
- RCIA Neophytes *
- Actively engaged parishioners
- Lay Ministry participants
- PPC (Education commission) members
- Professional teachers (public school and Catholic school)
- Former catechists
- Referrals from staff
- Recommendations from current catechists
* Don’t be too quick to pounce on Neophytes…they may need some time
Are there other potentials that I’ve missed?
Next up: Approaches