I received the following from Barb G. in an email and am happy to pass it along…some nice ideas. Thanks Barb!
Advent Adventure in Good Deeds
Advent is a season of preparing our hearts to be more and more like Jesus, the light of the world. Invite your young people to let the light of Jesus shine through them. Challenge them to reach out to others by taking an “Advent Adventure in Good Deeds” and putting love into the doing!
Young people may not realize what qualifies as a “Good Deed.” Here are some suggestions. Challenge your young people to try to practice as many as they can during the four weeks of Advent. Brainstorm and explore other ideas that may fit their age group. Good deeds are not a simple “to do” list. They are to be a daily discipline to live our faith reaching out, like Jesus, to the needs of others, in love.
- Say “thank you” to the person who fixes your meal at home and at school.
- Ask if you can help set the table.
- Give someone a compliment today.
- Be nice to someone who is hard to get along with.
- Stick up for someone who is being made fun of, or being criticized.
- Be patient with everyone today.
- Ask if you can help with dishes.
- Tell someone the story of when Jesus was born.
- Give everyone in your family a hug!
- Say a prayer for the poor, the hungry and the homeless.
- Find someone at school who is usually alone and talk with him or her.
- Smile to show others you care!
- Pray for someone who is sick.
- Put some of your own money in the food shelf box at church.
- Do a household chore without being asked.
|What’s a Good Deed? Adapted http://catholicism.suite101.com/article.cfm/advent_activities_for_ccd_class
Leave a Reply