Here’s a copy of the e-mail I sent to my catechist aide, Kris, outlining the “game plan” for our first session which takes place this evening:
Fasten your seatbelt..opening day is here!Here’s the plan for tomorrow:
- We’re in room 24
- I’ll be there by 6:40 itching to get into our room
- First one there (you or me) should pick up our bin and bring it to the room
- I’ll also pick up a CD player from the office
- I have seating arrangements (name tents) all worked out
- We’ll set up the room as soon as we can get it
- We’ll greet the kids as they enter and give them a small card on which they are to write down what gift they would put on their Christmas wish list
- You and I will introduce ourselves briefly
- you can fill in the attendance chart and put it in the holder outside of the room
- We’ll have them introduce themselves telling us their names, school, and sharing what they wrote on their card about the gift
- I’ll talk about how when we receive a great gift, we take good care of it.
- Since our faith is a gift, we need to take care of it…with that in mind, we’ll introduce the covenant
- We’ll have a prayer experience whereby they come forward one at a time, receive their book, sign the covenant, and bless themselves with holy water.
- Then, we’ll do the first page of chapter 1
- The biggest chunk of time will be having them read and work on the 2 main articles in the chapter and the Paired Interview…you and I will oversee this…just follow my lead.
- We’ll finish with a prayer that encourages them to share the gift of creation with others and we’ll have them trace their footprints on the prayer cloth If there’s room, otherwise, hands!) and sign their names
Lots to do on this first night! I’m looking foward to working with you and to meeting the kids. See you Monday evening! -joe
Leave a Reply