For our next (and final) Confirmation Intensive, we are focusing on the Rite of Confirmation, which includes the following:
- the Presentation of the Candidates
- the Bishop’s Homily
- the Renewal of Baptismal Promises
- the Laying on of Hands and the Anointing with Chrism
- the General Intercessions
I’m currently sharing with you what I’m developing for each of these 5 elements of the Rite (the kids will exerience five, 15-minute mini-sessions, one on each of the 5 elements). We continue today with the Bishop’s Homily.
The Bishop’s Homily
- Tell the young people that at the Confirmation Mass, after the pastor presents them to the bishop, they will be seated and the bishop will speak to them and to the congregation in his homily.
- Explain that the bishop always finds it easier to preach a homily to people when he knows a little something about them.
- Tell the young people that they are going to write a brief letter to the bishop.
- Distribute the template letter to the bishop and have the young people complete the letter as you walk about and assist them.
- Consider writing some key phrases on the board that will assist them in answering some of the questions.
- Consider playing instrumental music quietly in the background as they complete their letters.
- When they are finished, make sure they sign them, and collect them to give to the DRE to be forwarded to the bishop.