This Lenten activity is most appropriate for Holy Week and comes from the grade 5 Finding God catechist guide.
- During the Triduum, we recall that Jesus was falsely arrested, accused, and unjustly convicted and executed.
- Today there are people in various parts of the world who suffer similar injustice.
- An organization called Amnesty International (AI) works to promote internationally recognized human rights.
- AI also regularly produces case studies that have been specifically designed for young people, often aged 8-16, working with the help of an adult.
- For example, monthly materials are available from AI USA (Children’s Edition Urgent Actions), AI Canada (Human Rights Activism for Youth), and AI UK (Junior Urgent Actions).
- Since 1994, young people have written on behalf of victims of human rights violations in over 50 different countries.
- Arrange ahead of time to get information and resources from the AI Web site or from a representative and have the young people use AI materials to participate in a letter-writing campaign for prisoners of conscience.
Leave a Reply