Beginning on Monday, June 8, 2009, I invite you to join in an Online Retreat for Catechists that I will be hosting right here at Catechist’s Journey!
This will be an opportunity for you to spend some time this summer, reflecting (at your own convenience and in the comfort of your own home) on the spirituality of the catechist. It will be an opportunity for you to share thoughts and join in online discussion with catechists from all over the world about our unique spirituality as catechists. How will it work?
- First of all, IT’S FREE!
- The online retreat will be available right here at www.catechistsjourney.com beginning Monday, June 8, 2009.
- The first week, June 8, will simply be an introduction and overview of where we are headed in the retreat.
- For the following 6 weeks (June 15 through July 20), I will post each Monday, focusing on the following themes that represent 6 characteristics of the spirituality of the catechist as outlined in the Guide for Catechists, published by the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples in 1993 (section II, 6-10):
- An Openness to God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)
- An Openness to the Church
- An Openness to the World
- A Coherence and Authenticity of Life
- Missionary Zeal
- Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Each week’s installment will include:
- a brief video (of me!) providing an overview of the theme we are focusing on
- a post that develops the theme a little further and shares a personal anectdote from my teaching experience that relates to the theme
- reflection questions and suggested Scripture passages for reflection
- suggested spiritual exercises to practice in the ensuing days
- an invitation to post comments and interact with fellow catechists/retreatants
- on the first day of each week, you’re invited to view the brief video, read and reflect on the post and the questions/suggestions, and then return to Catechists Journey, hopefully each day for a few minutes, to share your own thoughts and to read/comment on what others are saying. THIS EXCHANGE OF THOUGHTS WILL BE ONE OF THE MOST SIGNIFICANT ASPECTS OF THE RETREAT.
For most catechists, summer is a time to renew ourselves and take a bit of a break from the grind of our teaching assignments. What better way to renew your spirit this summer than to join with catechists from all over the world, reflecting on the spirituality of the catechist?
Spread the word! If you’re a catechetical leader, please forward this post to your catechists and to your fellow DREs/CREs in neighboring parishes. If you’re a catechist, be sure to tell your catechetical leader about it and let your fellow catechists know.
I look forward to “getting away” with you this summer!