Last night, we had our opening catechist meeting for the 09-10 catechetical year! It was great to see my fellow 8th grade catechists as well as all of the other catechists and aides who gathered for the evening. There was a palpable sense of excitement and enthusiasm in the air. Here are a few highlights:
- Arlene, our DRE, demonstrated how we can all start our classes by enthroning the Bible. She invited 4 volunteers: one to carry a small Cross, two to carry small candles, and one to carry the Bible. She played a CD of a hymn that we call sang along with as the four processed around the room and then placed the Bible, candles, and Cross on the prayer table.
- The focus of the evening was on how we need to incorporate prayer into our sessions. Needless to say, I was very happy with the direction of the evening! 🙂
- Arlene asked a few catechists to share a few thoughts about their vocation – why they became a catechist. Very inspiring to listen to peoples’ stories.
- I have an aide! Last year, we had trouble finding someone to serve as an aide and I often went at it alone. This year, I have Lucy, who is a Mom and a nurse and served as a 7th grade aide last year. I’m thrilled to have another adult in the room with me.
- I have 10 students! 6 boys and 4 girls. I’m picturing my seating chart already: boy-girl-boy-girl-boy-girl-boy-girl-boy-girl-boy!!!
- We begin in less than 2 weeks, with classes starting on Monday, September 14.
- I stopped at CVS on the way home and purchased a number of extra supplies (the parish provides a number of school supplies in a bin that we carry to class…I’m just supplementing as many of us catechists do!)
- In the weeks ahead, I’ll be praying for my students and their families.
Anyone else have an opening catechist meeting to tell us about?