One of the many benefits of my frequent travels around the country is the opportunity to meet so many diocesan catechetical leaders. I am especially excited to meet young leaders – forty-ish and younger – who make up what I call the “new generation” of catechetical leaders (not the “next” generation, because they are already HERE and making their presence felt!). The Church, and the catechetical ministry per se, is blessed to be energized by their fresh perspective and youthful enthusiasm.
For some time now, I have been interested in compiling a sample “directory” of some of these younger catechetical leaders so that their names and faces become more familiar to catechetical ministers everywhere. My hope is that…
- …these young leaders will know that they are recognized and appreciated for their hard work and for the sacrifices they make to serve the catechetical ministry.
- …veteran diocesan catechetical leaders will feel energized by the presence of a new generation of catechetical leaders.
- …these young leaders will be sought out as presenters and speakers at catechetical gatherings all over the country, especially at NCCL, NCEA, NALM, diocesan catechetical conferences, etc.
- …veteran catechetical leaders will call forth these young leaders to take leadership roles in the aforementioned organizations.
- …young leaders will seek the wisdom of veteran leaders and learn from their experience.
With all of this mind, I have indeed compiled a preliminary “directory” of the new generation of diocesan catechetical leaders (not necessarily working for a diocesan office, but playing a role in the catechetical ministry that is influential on a broad basis). I have personally met many of these people. Others have been recommended to me as people “I should know.” A couple of recommendations like this came to me from Anne Comeaux, the Director of the Catechetical Office in Galveston-Houston, who, in speaking of her young associates Adrián Herrera and Brian Garcia-Luense, said “I consider them to be one of MY greatest gifts to the ministry since I hired them!” Way to go Anne! 🙂
Take a look at the names and faces of these catechetical leaders and get used to them…they are the NEW GENERATION OF CATECHETICAL LEADERS! We salute you!!!