Here is the outline for my session on Monday, October 1, 2012:
Big Idea: The Bible Tells Our Story
Preliminaries: (15 mins)
- Instrumental music in background (CD/player)
- Prayer intention slips and pens at places
- Prayer center objects on side table
- Hold bowl of holy water at the door
- Greet students at door with holy water – bless selves
- Students are seated and write out prayer intentions
- Take attendance
- Do Prayer Center Procession
- Opening prayer
- Stand – Sign of the Cross
- Ritual greeting – (line from Nicene Creed)
- Threefold sign of the cross (forehead, lips, heart)
- Pass the candle – share prayer intentions
Engage: (5 mins)
- Show picture of my great-grandfather, Jozef (Joe) Paprocki (c. 1900)
- Explain that all of us have a history – a story of who we are and how we came to be the person we are today.
- Show a Bible – explain that we share a story of who we are and how we came to be. This year, we’re going to continue to learn more about that story as it is told to us in the Bible.
- Distribute Bibles
Explore: (35 mins)
- Invite reader to come forward and proclaim Scripture: 2Tim 3:14-17 (have students find the passage and read along silently)
- Distribute Bible Learning Stations Fill-in Sheets from last week and review by having the students volunteer the answers:
- Bible Learning Stations fill in sheets – Bible Basics – Answer Key
- Bible Learning Stations fill in sheets – Old Testament – Answer Key
- Bible Learning Stations fill in sheets – New Testament – Answer Key
Reflect: (10 mins)
- Invite students into Sacred Space
- Slowly read the words of the Guided Reflection on pg. 12 of Finding God Catechist manual
- Allow quiet and silence the music
- Gently and gradually call them back to their places.
Respond: (10 mins)
- Have students tear out pages 9-14 (chapter 2) of their Finding God textbook and staple them to the Homework Notification Sheet along with BLM 1 and have them take them home to complete over the Columbus Day break.
- Ask the young people to describe who they resemble most in their family (either by looks or personality characteristics) – Go around and share
- Explain that the Bible reveals to us that we come from a God who is good, loving, forgiving, and fair. Challenge them to show a resemblance to God in their daily living.
- Closing prayer:
- Sign of the Cross
- Pray the Prayer to St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus
- Sign of Peace
- Bless selves with holy water as they leave.