Whenever we fly somewhere and listen to the instructions from the flight attendants, we are reminded that, if there is a sudden drop in pressure and the oxygen masks come down, adults should put their own masks on first and then assist their children in doing so. The logic is simple: adults will be needed to assist young people throughout the crisis and beyond.
We need to take the same approach to our faith formation. While we may think of our program as “children’s faith formation,” we need to equip the parents and other significant adults with what they need to assist the children throughout the experience and beyond.
With that in mind, I am happy to provide links to a number of resources from Loyola Press that can help parishes put parents first as we venture into this new catechetical year.
Resources to Give Parents
These resources are either free or low-cost.
- Pop-Up Catechesis Videos
- Works of Mercy Prayers and Activities
- Understanding Church Tradition
- Downloadable Worksheet: Find the Signs and Symbols in Your Church
- Liturgical Year Family Activities
- 40 Ways to Foster Prayer in Your Home (English and Spanish)
- Finding God E-Newsletters (English and Spanish)
- Catholic Prayer for Catholic Families (English and bilingual editions)
- The Meal Box (English and Spanish)
- A Well-Built Faith by Joe Paprocki (English and Spanish)
- The Bible Blueprint by Joe Paprocki (English and Spanish)
- Practice Makes Catholic by Joe Paprocki
- A Simple Life-Changing Prayer by Jim Manney (English and Spanish)
- Handbook for Catholics by Mary Kathleen Glavich, SND
Faith Formation Experiences for Parents
Invite parents to their own faith formation experiences while their children are in sessions.
- 20 sessions on A Well-Built Faith / Una fe bien construida
- Nine sessions on The Bible Blueprint / Los planos de la Biblia
- Meeting Christ in Prayer
- Meaningful Conversations About Prayer
- Six Weeks with the Bible (numerous topics/themes; English and Spanish)
- Parent sessions on Raising Faith Filled-Kids / Educando hijos en la plenitud de la fe
- Busy Lives & Restless Souls Discussion Guide and Prayer Resources
- The Inner Chapel Discussion Guide and Prayer Resources
- Under the Influence of Jesus Discussion Guide
- Blessed by Less Discussion Guide
- The Joy of Discipleship Discussion Guide
- One Book, One Parish (Books with discussion guides in English and Spanish)
- Introducing Catholics to the Bible (Parent/Child Session)
Also invite parents to bookmark these online resources for the family.