I kid my wife, on occasion, that the best weather report can be found by looking out the window and seeing for ourselves. While it can be helpful to get detailed satellite images and computer-generated forecasts from professional meteorologists, it’s hard to argue with what we see with our own eyes when we look out the window and gaze at the heavens!
In a similar way, it can be helpful to read professional research about trends in the area of religion and, specifically, in Catholic faith formation. On the other hand, sometimes the anecdotal information that we share as catechetical ministers can be a more accurate reading of what we’re encountering “on the ground.”
With that in mind, I invite you to share insights with me and other readers of Catechist’s Journey about how things look from your vantage point in terms of the following:
- Mass attendance, especially by religious education and school families
- Enrollment in local parish faith formation programs
- Attitudes and behaviors of young people in the post-pandemic era
- Greatest challenges facing you as a catechetical minister
- Greatest opportunities you have as a catechetical minister
Take a peek out your window, and share your thoughts in the “Leave a Reply” space below about what it is that you are seeing from your vantage point when it comes to the state of faith formation in your neck of the woods. I look forward to hearing from you!