Calling all catechists! We have a fellow catechist in need. Ross sent me the following:
I have a particular problem in that I have recently taken over a class of 20 children of different ages. Although qualified as a teacher I have have no previous teaching as a catechist.
I only have half an hour each week to do this. The Children range from K1 (kindergarten) to year 6. Any help would be appreciated – regards ross
Ross, this is indeed a challenge. It would be helpful if you can clarify a few details:
- What is the reason for the unusual age-grouping (K-6)?
- Is this a children’s catechumenate (preparing them to receive the sacraments of Initiation)?
- What are you being asked to do in 30 minutes? Teach lessons? Do a children’s liturgy of the Word? Have you been given a textbook or materials to use?
- Are there other groupings like this in the program?
- What was done previously? What direction is the DRE providing?
Perhaps with a few more details, we may be able to offer some concrete advice on how to most effectively catechize in your situation. My first reaction is that you may want to proceed as though doing a children’s Liturgy of the Word, a lectionary-based approach, where you focus on the Sunday Scripture readings and lessons that can be drawn from the readings. Not knowing some of the details of your situation, however, I’m hesitant to jump too quickly into offering solutions.
If any folks already have some advice to offer, by all means, let’s hear from you!
p.s. I have Ross’ email address if anyone wants to contact him personally. I’ve taken it off of his comment to protect him from spammers