For our next (and final) Confirmation Intensive, we are focusing on the Rite of Confirmation which includes the following:
- the Presentation of the Candidates
- the Bishop’s Homily
- the Renewal of Baptismal Promises
- the Laying on of Hands and the Anointing with Chrism
- the General Intercessions
I’m currently sharing with you what I’m developing for each of these 5 elements of the Rite (the kids will exerience five, 15-minute mini-sessions, one on each of the 5 elements). We continue today with the Renewal of Baptismal Promises.
Renewal of Baptismal Promises
- Explain to the young people that following the bishop’s homily at the Confirmation Mass, he will invite them to stand and to renew their baptismal promises.
- Show a picture of your own (or one of your children’s baptisms) and explain that since most of us were baptized as infants, someone else (our godparents and parents) responded on our behalf.
- Explain that when the light of Christ was handed to us at baptism, it was held by one of our godparents as the priest prayed the following words:
Receive the light of Christ. Parents and god-parents, this light is entrusted to you to be kept burning brightly. This child of yours has been enlightened by Christ. He/she is to walk always as a child of the light. May he/she keep the flame of faith alive in their heart. When the Lord comes, may he/she go out to meet him with all the saints in the heavenly kingdom.
- Tell them that now they are old enough to be entrusted with the light of Christ that they received in baptism.
- Call them forward one at a time by name to take a vigil candle (battery operated from the prayer center and to go to a place in the room (on the floor if they wish) where they can be alone (tell them it’s their “sacred space” – at least 10 feet away from anyone else)
- Play Pachelbel quietly in background.
- Turn off the lights. (use a mini-flashlight to lead the reflection)
- Lead the Reflection on the Renewal of Baptismal Promises.
- When finished, turn on the lights, have them return the battery operated vigil lights to the prayer center and give them a real tea light candle to take home with them as a reminder that they are being entrusted with the light of Christ.