On to our next Lenten activity which comes to us from the Christ Our Life program, grade 8 Catechist’s Guide.
A Change-of-Heart Tree
- Have the young people make a Change-of-Heart Tree to show their progress in keeping their Lenten resolutions.
- Assign a group of young people to design the trunk and bare branches of a tree out of brown paper or felt.
- Have them glue it to a piece of white fabric or paper (about 3-foot by 2-foot).
- Direct the other young people to cut out seven purple hearts (one for each week of Lent) and glue them on the branches.
- Have each young person cut out seven leaves from green paper.
- Post the banner and collect the green leaves in a container.
- Tell the young people that once a week, whenever they feel that they have kept their Lenten resolutions, they may glue a green leaf around the purple heart designated for that week.
- By the Easter Triduum which begins on Holy Thursday evening, the Change-of-Heart Tree will be complete, symbolizing renewed life in Christ.
Leave a Reply