On we go to our next Lenten activity!
Stations of the Cross Tableaus
- Many of us catechists do not have the time or resources to “produce” an entire Living Stations of the Cross.
- This idea – Stations of the Cross Tableaus – is designed for those of us with very limited time and resources.
- Instead of organizing an entire production, organize the young people intro groups and have them prepare “tableaus” (a representation of a scene – a “freeze-frame”) of each of the Stations of the Cross.
- This, of course, involves props and costumes, however, there is no script to memorize and rehearse and no “performance” to organize.
- Assign roles to the young people (Jesus, Pontius Pilate, Pilate’s servant, crowd (onlookers), Roman soldiers, Mary the Mother of Jesus, Simon of Cyrene, Veronica, Women of Jerusalem, Nicodemus, the “little company of Mary” i.e. those who accompanied Mary at the foot of the Cross)
- Have the young people present their tableaus one at at time and take a digital picture of each tableau.
- When finished, print the pictures and display them in your classroom, in the parish, on a parish Web site, or create a small Stations of the Cross booklet that includes these pictures.