Interestingly enough, one of the problems that I ran into while walking my class through the Bible on Monday evening was the unforeseen distractions that occurred while they were reading aloud…and these distractions came from the text itself! What am I talking about? Here’s what I mean:
- Exodus 20:10 – “No work may be done then either by you….or by the alien who lives with you.” Had to pause and explain that this was not referring to creatures from other planets living with the Jewish people.
- Exodus 20:17 – “You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife…nor his ox or ass.” D’oh…I forgot that was in there!
- Numbers 10:33-34 (the departure from Sinai and the desert wandering) – Had to try to explain why it took forty years to navigate the distance that is the equivalent of traveling from Chicago to Detroit.
- 2Kings 17:1-6 – fall of the Northern Kingdom to Assyria – this word appears 6 times in 6 verses and each time, the dear girl reading it could not stop giggling over it.
- 1Samuel 8:2 – the name Beer-sheba was good for a few giggles.
- 2Samuel 7:8-16 – “and if he does wrong, I will correct him with the rod of men...” I’m sorry this is getting so bawdy but adolescent minds do not miss these things.
We catechists sometimes need to laugh to keep from crying! 🙂