Here is my lesson plan for this evening!
Tuesday, January 14, 2014
BIG IDEA: “Remember all my commands!”
Scripture: Numbers 15:37-41
Learning Outcome: As a result of this session, students will be able to recall and articulate the major concepts covered in the first half of the year, especially the Ten Commandments
Preliminaries/Engage (20 mins)
- As they enter, have the young people write down one thing they remember learning during the first half of the year.
- Welcome back, talk about holidays.
- Invite each to share one thing they remember learning in the first half of the year.
- Introduce PPT image of Mr. Spock/Dr. McCoy and ask if anyone knows what word Mr. Spock spoke in this famous scene from The Wrath of Kahn. (REMEMBER!)
- Explain that we have not been together for almost a month…it’s important for us to REMEMBER!
- Point out that today, we use Post-it Notes or electronic reminders on our cell phone or computer to remind us of things. Explain that, back in Old Testament days, before these things existed, God had another suggestion for remembering important things.
- Scripture Reading: Numbers 15:37-41 (the tassels will serve as reminders) – reader = Maddie
- Show slide of Jewish man wearing tassels
- Summarize the importance of remembering and invite the young people to “remember” how to do our opening prayer ritual!
- Proceed with opening procession/ritual
Reflect (20 mins)
- Invite the young people to proceed to their sacred space for a guided reflection.
- Invite them to imagine coming into class but that it is empty…they are alone…Jesus enters
- Jesus asks what are some of the things you learned here this year so far
- Remember: meeting for 1st time, bible learning stations, learning to do procession, creation story, adam and eve, cain and abel, rosary, all saints/all souls, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and esau, advent, moses, prince of Egypt, Passover, exodus, 10 commandments, monthly mass, adoration.
- Ask Jesus to help you remember all the important things that bring you closer to him.
Explore (40 mins)
- Do review using the Jeopardy-Like Review for 6th grade – 2014
- Give Ten Commandments Quiz
Respond (10 mins)
- Introduce next topic: David – Shepherd and King
- Distribute Homework Notification Sheet along with “If I Were King or Queen for a Day” worksheet.
- Closing Prayer