We continue our series here on Catechist’s Journey on how to implement small faith groups in your parish. Today we look at the crucial step of identifying, inviting, and training small group leaders. This is by far the most critical step, since the small faith groups will conduct their sessions in parishioners’ homes, without parish staff present. This follows the successful model used by St. Barnabas Parish in Chicago last Lent.
2–3 Months Out
- Select discussion materials that your groups will use.
- Prepare a list of potential small group leaders and host homes. Staff should participate in this recommendation and recruitment process as they have relationships within the ministries/organizations they direct.
- Mail an invitation to recommended leaders. See a sample letter.
- Acquire facilitator training materials. (I’ll have a PowerPoint for this coming soon!)
- Follow up on facilitator invitation letters, by phone or in person.
- Plan a leadership training session.
Next Monday, we’ll focus on training leaders/facilitators of small faith groups.
Read the first two articles in the series:
How to Host Parish Small Faith Groups, Part 1 (Introduction)
How to Host Parish Small Faith Groups, Part 2 (4–6 Months Out)