With the end of the catechetical year quickly approaching, you may be looking for ways to engage older children, youth, and adults in faith formation over the summer. One great idea is to host a “Bible Boot Camp” using my book The Bible Blueprint and the free online Leader Guide to increase Bible literacy, leading to a deeper appreciation of Scripture.
Most programs that are labeled as “Bible Boot Camp” are Vacation Bible School programs for little children. The Bible Blueprint, on the other hand, targets audiences of older children (sixth grade and up), youth, and adults. The Leader Guide outlines nine engaging sessions covering the following:
- Session 1 Discovering the Bible Blueprint
- Session 2 Overcoming “Bibliaphobia”
- Session 3 Preparing to Enter God’s Library
- Session 4 The Bible’s Floor Plan
- Session 5 Information Blocks: Footnotes and Cross-References
- Session 6 Recognizing Symbolic Language in the Bible
- Session 7 Do the Math—Numbers in the Bible
- Session 8 Draftsman Tools: The Tools of Interpretation
- Session 9 First Steps and Next Steps
The Bible Blueprint bookmarks that come as part of the book provide a tool for engaging learners in a hands-on approach to navigating the Bible. Los planos de la Biblia is also available, with a Leader Guide.
To make things easier on your budget, when you purchase 15 or more copies of The Bible Blueprint, you can get them for only $6 each!
Finally, you will need to provide Bibles for each participant. I recommend the New American Bible Revised Edition since it is the translation we use at Mass, and it can be found as a reasonably priced paperback edition from various online sellers.
Consider using The Bible Blueprint to host a Bible Boot Camp for your junior high or high school kids, a “Theology-on-Tap”-type experience for young adults, a catechist formation series for your catechetical team, or as a general adult faith formation experience over the summer months!