Recently on Catechist’s Journey, we invited readers to participate in a poll indicating their preferences for catechist formation formats (reading a book, watching a video, attending a workshop or class, or online). Thanks to the many who responded! It is interesting to note how 22% (as of 3/12/2020) of those responding indicated a preference for online learning. And with the coronavirus keeping many of us at home, the option of online learning is helpful.
With that in mind, Loyola Press is proud to announce a new online Catechetical Formation Series! The Catechetical Formation Series consists of 10 learning sessions that are accompanied by downloadable documents that invite catechists to apply concepts learned in the sessions to their ministry experience. Together with my co-presenter and Loyola Press colleague, Deirdre Mullane, we will facilitate meaningful formation experiences for catechists in the areas of Being, Knowing, and Doing. The Catechetical Formation Series will draw from my popular Toolbox Series and will assist catechists in acquiring the basic knowledge and skills needed to serve effectively as catechists and to engage people of all ages in faith formation that is truly evangelizing.
The series can be viewed on an individual basis or in a group setting. Additionally, catechetical leaders can have their catechists complete and submit the downloadable document for assessment. The learning sessions in this formation series can be used to train new catechists and provide a refresher training for veteran catechists. Here are the 10 topics:
- Learning Session 1: Getting Started & Getting to Know Your Learners (DOING)
- Learning Session 2: The Catechetical Process (DOING)
- Learning Session 3: Prayer and Leading Prayer (DOING)
- Learning Session 4: Facilitation Skills and Handling Difficult Situations (DOING)
- Learning Session 5: What We Believe—The Creed (KNOWING)
- Learning Session 6: What We Believe—The Sacraments (KNOWING)
- Learning Session 7: What We Believe—The Moral Life (KNOWING)
- Learning Session 8: What We Believe—Prayer (KNOWING)
- Learning Session 9: Understanding God’s Word—Scripture (KNOWING)
- Learning Session 10: The Person of the Catechist (BEING)
To access the Catechetical Formation Series, go to www.loyolapress.com/catecheticalformationseries.