With the ongoing pandemic and shelter-in-place restrictions, almost every aspect of our lives has changed, including major events such as graduations, showers, birthday parties, Confirmations, weddings, and First Holy Communions. For many children, a First Eucharist retreat is part of their preparation at the parish. Since the present crisis precludes such gatherings, I offer some suggestions for doing a First Eucharist retreat at home, in today’s episode of Pop-Up Catechesis.
Here are some resources to help you with your at-home First Eucharist retreat. The key is not to make it too formal or rigid as far as structure; just make it a day focused on a handful of activities you select to create anticipation for and understanding of the Eucharist.
- First Eucharist: Ideas to Nurture a Lifetime of Faith
- A Prayer for You and Your Child Celebrating First Eucharist
- An Overview of the Mass
- Invitation to a Meal (With a Reflection for You and Your Child Celebrating First Eucharist)
- First Holy Communion Novena for Families to Pray Together
- Approved Recipes for Eucharistic Bread
- Personal Testimonies about Eucharist
- Easy First Communion Cards
- First Holy Communion Cookies
- Jesus in the Eucharist Art Project