We continue our Pop-Up Catechesis series, A Walk Through the Mass, with an exploration of the Profession of Faith (the Creed).
Those are two of the most frightening words in the English language! To trust someone is to put your life into that person’s hands. If that trust is betrayed, it is very difficult to re-establish. Think for a moment about the people you trust most in this world. They are, no doubt, the people who have lived up to their word most consistently. When we celebrate the Mass, we re-affirm our trust in God when we proclaim the Profession of Faith (the Creed). We do this because God consistently upholds his promise to be with his people during good times and bad. Each time we say the words, “I believe,” in the Creed, we are saying, “I trust.” In this episode of Pop-Up Catechesis, we explore the Profession of Faith and our trust in God and in the Church.
For more information about the Profession of Faith (the Creed) and the concept of trust, check out the following links:
- Living the Mass: How One Hour a Week Can Change Your Life
- Introducing Jesus as Someone You Can Trust
- Establishing a Climate of Trust: Growing with God
- Accompaniment Requires Trust
- Trusting God’s Word
- Trust Me!
- Making Our Faith Simple-Yet-Not-Simplistic: The Creed
- Three Ways to Teach the Creed to Younger Children