When we eat something, we can use the word “consume,” meaning that we not only take in certain foods, but that we totally absorb them. Indeed, much of what we eat is absorbed into the bloodstream, which is why we say, “You are what you eat.” Ultimately, what we consume, we end up being consumed by! If we consume junk food, too much junk becomes a part of us, and we are consumed by such toxins. On the other hand, if we eat healthy food, our body absorbs the nutrients and strengthens our bodies. We are thus consumed by health. In this episode of Pop-Up Catechesis, we explore Holy Communion and how we not only consume, but also become consumed by the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ!
For more information about Holy Communion, check out the following links:
- Living the Mass: How One Hour a Week Can Change Your Life
- Living the Sacraments: Finding God at the Intersection of Heaven and Earth
- The Body and Blood of Christ: Hard to Swallow?
- Discovering the Nearness of God: What Do You Crave?
- Teaching the Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist
- God’s Gift: First Eucharist
- 3-Minute Retreat: Celebrating Eucharist