As the role of the catechist continues to grow and evolve to meet the needs of a rapidly changing world, one of the models that is becoming more apt is that of the catechist as curator. Typically, we think of a curator as that person in a museum or gallery who is responsible for acquiring, caring for, and developing a collection of artifacts that will be displayed for the edification, education, and inspiration of those who visit.
This description fits more and more with what catechists are doing and are called to do, especially in an age in which so many resources are available to us digitally. Catechists often find themselves sifting through collections of resources online that they can adapt to their faith formation experiences. This is especially true with regards to the seasons of the liturgical year, when so many resources are placed at our fingertips and are just a click away!
With Advent rapidly approaching, Loyola Press is happy to provide you with a bevy of seasonal resources for you to curate and adapt to your particular setting and age group. I encourage you to explore the following Advent resources for yourself and for those you teach.
- Journey with St. Joseph—Sign up to receive daily e-mails during Advent that invite you to go on a Journey with St. Joseph. Explore this man of courage, love, and acceptance, while also receiving suggestions for further exploration of Advent themes through additional online articles and prayers.
- Advent and the Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary—Join me here on Catechist’s Journey as I offer reflections on the Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary and how they speak to our Advent experience. We’ll start on December 6, 2021.
- Answering God’s Call This Advent—Enjoy an Advent webinar with Barbara Lee, author of Answering God’s Call: A Scripture-Based Journey for Older Adults and God Isn’t Finished with Me Yet: Discovering the Spiritual Graces of Later Life, as she leads us through an Advent reflection on the theme of waiting as seen through the eyes of Gospel figures Elizabeth, Joseph, Anna, and Simeon.
- Sacred Space for Advent and the Christmas Season 2021–2022—Bring the daily prayer experience of the Sacred Space website into your daily devotional reading for the season. See more seasonal book ideas here.
- Advent Activities—Explore Advent activities for the faith formation setting and the family, including planning an intergenerational parish event.
- Advent for Catechists—Browse the collection of Advent resources for catechists from the contributors here at Catechist’s Journey. Includes downloadable materials and Pop-Up Catechesis episodes.
- Arts and Faith: Advent—Prepare for Christmas with Arts & Faith: Advent. Each week, find video commentary about a work of art inspired by the Sunday Scriptures.
- Advent Calendars—Provide either an online experience or a printable calendar to adults and children.
- The Jesse Tree—Connect the custom of decorating Christmas trees to the events leading to Jesus’ birth.
- Inspiration During Advent—Read articles to inspire you as you live the Advent season.
And don’t forget the seasonal resources in your Christ Our Life or Finding God textbooks!
Leave a Reply