Here’s another Lenten activity that is a good opportunity for catechists to prepare young people for Holy Week. It is from the Christ Our Life series (grade 8).
- Have the young people fold a sheet of construction paper into three equal parts.
- While the paper is folded, have them cut the top of it into the shape of an arch.
- At the top of each section, have them write the name of the liturgy for each day of the Triduum (Mass of the Lord’s Supper, Passion of the Lord, and Easter Vigil) and draw a symbol for each of these celebrations.
- Beneath each symbol, they may write a one sentence prayer related to the celebration.
- Possible symbols:
- Holy Thursday: foot washing, basin with pitcher of water and towel, Eucharist (bread and wine), Exodus/Passover (lamb)
- Good Friday: Cross, crown of thorns, nails, three crosses on Calvary
- Holy Saturday: baptismal font, water flowing, Easter lilies, Resurrected Jesus, empty tomb