Today’s activity – a Salt Dough Crown of Thorns – can be found in many places on the Internet, I am drawing from a couple of Web sites: Ten Kids and a Dog and Three Sided Wheel (which has an excellent tutorial)
- Basically, you make a salt dough and then roll out the dough into 3 long rolls/ropes.
- Next, you braid the rolls/ropes and shape it into a circle. Add toothpicks (loosely) to represent the thorns, asking forgiveness for sins with each toothpick inserted.
- Bake the salt dough crown as directed.
- Paint the crown of thorns brown and place it on a purple tray (or add cinnamon to the recipe to give it a brown color).
- Place a sacrificial giving box (such as CRS Rice Bowl), a bowl of ashes, or some other Lenten symbol in the center of the crown.
- Throughout Lent, remove a toothpick each time a Lenten discipline (prayer, fasting, almsgiving) is practiced.
- On Easter morning, transform the crown of thorns into a floral wreath by painting the crown gold and placing an Easter candle and/or a bowl/bottle of holy water in the center.