In these last segments of Catechists in Action with Katie Elwood’s 2nd grade class, we observe her pastor, Fr. Hyland, taking the kids on a tour of the sanctuary and sacristy. Watch for the following:
- Fr. Hyland shows the children the sacred oils and relates them to the sacraments
- One of the children blurts out “Oh yeah, we talked about that in class!” when Fr. Hyland mentions the Anointing of the Sick
- Fr. Hyland patiently responds to questions when he is interrupted
- Fr. Hyland talks about using oil to protect us from getting a sunbrun and relates it to the protection we receive in the sacraments as symbolized by the oil of catechumens
- Fr. Hyland talks about the sacred chrism and how in Scripture, such an anointing signifies someone beginning important work and relates it to the childrens’ call to do something important with their life as a baptized member of the church.
- Fr. Hyland shows and explains the altar as the table we gather around to celebrate the Eucharist.
- Fr. Hyland explains what the ambo is and what happens there
- Fr. Hyland points out the tabernacle and corrects the children as they search for the right word to describe what is inside the tabernacle.
- The children ooh and ah as they see where the vestments are stored in the sacristy
- Fr. Hyland shows the children the unconsecrated hosts and tells them that this is what they will receive at their First Communion when it is consecrated and becomes the Body and Blood of Jesus
- You can hear the kids getting antsy as the evening is winding down and the catechists, including Katie, shush them back to attention.
- Fr. Hyland shows the vessels stored in the safe and asks the children what the wine in the chalice will become and they correctly answer “The Blood of Christ” – good job Katie and the other 2nd grade catechists and good job Fr. Hyland!
Leave a Reply