For Monday evening’s session, we will begin exploring the stories of Genesis, beginning with Creation, Adam and Eve, and Cain and Abel. I’m going hi-tech for this session, showing a number of brief video clips from YouTube. Here’s the plan.
BIG IDEA: God creates something from nothing and sin has consequences.
Preliminaries (15 mins)
- Students enter and write down prayer intentions
- Procession to set up prayer center
- Opening Prayer ritual
Engage (10 mins)
- Show video clip of magician making doves “appear” (3 min)
- Talk about how magicians create the illusion of doing something that only God can do: create something out of nothing
- Introduce the Book of Genesis and how it begins with God creating something out of nothing.
Explore (30 min)
- CREATION – Reading: Genesis 1: 1-5 (In the beginning…)
- Show video clip of the First Story of Creation (7 min)
- Discuss using video discussion questions (pg 1)
- ADAM AND EVE – Read Finding God pg. 16
- Show video clip of the Sin of Adam and Eve (begin at 7:36 and end at 13:25 – total of 6 mins)
- Discuss using video discussion questions (pg 2)
- CAIN AND ABEL – Read Finding God pg. 17
- Show video clip of Cain and Abel (6 min)
- Discuss using video discussion questions (pg 3)
REFLECT (10 mins)
- Reflect on the words of the hymn How Great Thou Art as we listen to/watch video clip of Carrie Underwood singing the hymn.
RESPOND (10 mins)
- Students complete BLM T-309 “Consequences Story” and finish for homework (also, Homework Notification Sheet goes home to have students bring in a Rosary next week to mark the Month of the Holy Rosary)
- Closing Prayer, bless selves with Holy Water upon leaving.
Leave a Reply