Tonight, we are going to focus on the gift of God’s creation as presented in Genesis, chapter 1. Here is my plan.
Big Idea: God Creates Something Good Out of Nothing
Preliminaries: (25 mins)
- As students enter, have them work immediately on a Scripture search worksheet, using their Bibles and their Bible bookmarks from The Bible Blueprint.
- Allow 10 minutes total and then review.
- Invite a volunteer to review how to pray the Rosary.
- Do “Ave Maria” matching activity as students view video of The Priests singing Schubert’s “Ave Maria.”
- Opening procession and ritual prayer
- Show video clip of magician (the illusion of creating something out of nothing).
- Talk about how magicians create the illusion of doing something that only God can do: create something out of nothing.
- Introduce the Book of Genesis and how it begins with God lovingly creating something out of nothing.
- Reading: Genesis 1:1-5 (In the beginning…)
- Read Finding God pages 10-11 (The first creation story).
- Show Creation video (7 mins).
- Have students fill out Creation Video Guide Worksheet as they view the video (Creation Video Guide Worksheet Answer key).
- Review the Video Guide Worksheet.
- Invite students to draw a picture of their favorite aspect of God’s creation (Creation drawing); play video in background of “How Great Thou Art.”
- Do brief show and tell.
Reflect: (15 mins)
- Lead guided reflection from Finding God pg. 12.</li>
Respond: (10 mins)