Here is my plan for this evening’s session. I will have 60 minutes to teach before we take the kids to church for the Rosary in honor of the Month of the Holy Rosary.
Big Idea: When We Stop Trusting God, We Face Consequences (Adam and Eve; Cain & Abel)
Preliminaries: (15 mins)
- As students enter, have them work immediately on coloring their Creation Drawings from last week.
- Allow 10 mins total and then share and collect.
- Opening procession and ritual prayer
Engage: (5 mins)
- Do a simple cause and effect demonstration:
- It requires a 12 oz. can of pop, a clear drinking glass, a third of a cup of sugar, and a shallow tray.
- Pour the can of pop into the clear drinking glass (which should be standing in the shallow tray)
- Draw attention to the bubbling/fizzing.
- Next, tell the students that you can magically make all of the bubbles disappear!
- Pour the sugar into the glass
- It will foam up and over the rim of the glass causing spillage (thus the need for the shallow tray)
- When it settles down, the pop will no longer bubble/fizz…it will be “flat”
- Ask if anyone knows why.
- the bubbling/fizzing is caused by the gradual release of carbon dioxide. Sugar acts as a catalyst, speeding up the release of carbon dioxide in the soft drink. When it is all released, the pop becomes flat (explain that the same thing will happen if pop is left out for a long period of time)
- Use this to explain cause and effect and introduce the word consequences
Explore: (30 mins)
- Reading: Genesis 2:15-17 (You shall not eat of the tree…)
- Read Finding God pages 16-17 (Adam and Eve; Cain and Abel)
- Show Adam and Eve video (7:47 to 13:25 – 6 mins)
- Discuss using video discussion questions (pg 2)
- Show Cain and Abel video (6 mins)
- Discuss using video discussion questions (pg 3)
- Distribute Homework Notification Page (Trust BLM)
Reflect: (30 mins)
Go to Church for Rosary
Leave a Reply