Host a Faith Reading Camp for children at the parish, school, or right at home. Loyola Press makes it easy by providing a camp calendar with suggestions for five days of fun.
Each day, wherever your camp is, read a children’s book together, complete activities based on the book, and pray for intentions inspired by the book’s themes. And since camp wouldn’t be complete without snacks, our calendar includes snack time suggestions inspired by the books.
How to Run a Faith Reading Camp
- Decide when to host the camp. Build anticipation by promoting the camp early and getting children excited about participating.
- Gather volunteers to help:
- Select a storyteller (reader).
- Choose an activity leader, a prayer leader, and a snack coordinator.
- Invite other adults to help as camp cheerleaders, group leaders, or space coordinators.
- Get the whole family involved if running the camp within a family setting. Older children can be excellent storytellers or activity leaders. Family members might take turns leading the daily prayer.
- Download the Faith Reading Camp calendar.
- Purchase the following books from Loyola Press or your favorite bookseller:
- Print out the activity sheets for each day (links in calendar).
- Gather any supplies needed for the activities, including scissors, pencils or pens, and crayons or markers.
- Prepare the daily snacks in advance of camp gathering time.
- Welcome children each day, and have fun!
If you are sharing the Faith Reading Camp calendar with parents, please share the link to this page rather than the direct link to the PDF.
Let us know about your experience with your Faith Reading Camp by leaving a comment below or sharing comments in our Catholic Faith Formation Facebook group.