Here’s my plan for this coming Monday’s session:
Monday, October 4, 2010
Theme: God Asks Us to Obey
Big Idea: We shape and form our conscience so that we can know right from wrong and be faithful followers of Jesus
Engage (15 mins)
- As kids enter, provide them with a small container of Play-doh and invite them to create a shape
- Opening prayer ritual
- Review of last session – show broken popsicle stick and rock
- Show and tell of Play-doh shapes
- Introduce the idea that throughout our lives, we strive to allow Jesus to shape us into one of his faithful disciples.
FIRE DRILL (10 mins)
Explore (30 mins)
- Show video clip of devil/angel on shoulder – ask what that represents. (temptation/conscience)
- Read aloud chapter 4 using clue card activity to highlight key words.
- Write the word conscience on the board and ask kids to explain what they think a conscience is and how it works.
- Take out Flip video cam and invite each child to say something to be recorded. Play back.
- Explain that our conscience can be compared to a video or audio recorder…throughout life, we “record” messages from important people about what is right and wrong. Ask the children to brainstorm whose faces/voices should be on their “tape.” (parents, grandparents, godparents, aunts, uncles, teachers, catechists, pastors, coaches, good friends, the Bible, Church teachings, the lives of the saints)
- Ask the children to identify other faces/voices that can get on our “tape” and sometimes give us the wrong messages about what is right and wrong. (TV, Internet, movies, magazines, friends, media, popular music, etc.) (*emphasize that you are not condemning these but warning them that we need to be aware of the messages being sent. Even people from our first list can sometimes give us the wrong messages).
- Refer back to the clay and point out that throughout life, we can continue to allow ourselves to be shaped into faithful followers of Jesus.
- Play recording of The Prayer of St. Francis – Make Me a Channel of Your Peace and talk about how St. Francis prayed that he be shaped into an instrument of God’s peace.
Reflect (10 mins)
- Lead guided reflection on an Examination of Conscience from ch. 4
Respond (10 mins)
- Explore Catholic Internet sites where kids can learn to be good followers of Jesus and have their conscience shaped.
- Direct kids to take the handout home and share with their parents.
- Closing prayer