Here’s my lesson plan for Monday, November 8, 2010
Theme: Jesus Sends the Holy Spirit Big Idea: The Holy Spirit guides us to serve others (through works of mercy) in Jesus’ name
- As kids arrive, have them draw a picture of themselves acting as a GUIDE at some location of their choosing (provide crayons/markers).
- Invite them to share where they chose to be a GUIDE
- Explain that we rely on GUIDES to show us how to find places and to do things
- Say, “Today, we’re going to learn about how the Holy Spirit GUIDES us to serve others as Jesus did.
- Opening prayer
- Explain that one of the things that the Holy Spirit guides us to do is to show MERCY
- Show two brief video clips, one in which a person shows no mercy and another in which a person shows mercy.
- No mercy: Ebeneezer Scrooge
- Mercy: Mother Teresa
- Ask students to explain what mercy is, based on these examples (tenderness, warmth, compassion)
- Point out that nearby Mother McAuley High School and St. Xavier University are owned and operated by the Sisters of MERCY.
- Read aloud Finding God pages 68, 69, and 71
- Explain that Corporal refers to the body/the physical
- Give kids materials they need to complete picture frames of the works of mercy
- Make 2-sided copies (enlarged to 11 x 17) of the blank picture frames for the Corporal Works of Mercy and the Spiritual Works of Mercy and provide one for each student.
- Provide students with one of each of the following: Corporal Works of Mercy Pictures and Spiritual Works of Mercy pictures.
- Note: the pictures are not in the same order as the frames…that would be too easy! For the Corporal works, they are – top, left to right: shelter the homeless, give alms to the poor, and bury the dead; bottom, left to right: visit the sick and imprisoned, feed the hungry, clothe the naked. For the Spiritual works, they are – top, left to right: console the doubter, forgive injuries, and bear wrongs patiently; bottom, left to right: instruct the ignorant, advise the sinner, and comfort the sorrowful.
- Go over the materials with them
- Provide scissors and glue sticks and have them cut and paste the pictures into the proper picture frame.
- Have them take these home
- If time permits, have half the class work in pairs on the Corporal Works of Mercy worksheet and the other half work in pairs on the Spiritual Works of Mercy worksheet
- Go over the worksheets with the kids using the Corporal Works of Mercy worksheet answer key and the Spiritual Works of Mercy worksheet answer key.
- Please note: these worksheets are not intended to be used as a quiz. Some of the answers can be argued for more than one work of mercy (especially the spiritual works). Be generous but reasonable in accepting answers.
- Listen to hymn.
- Lead a guided reflection using Finding God page 72 and focusing on the Holy Spirit as the “breath” of God within us.
- Encourage the kids to select a work of mercy to perform in the days ahead (describe it on page 73 of FG)
- Send home BLM 25