We’ve talked alot about the Roman Missal changes set to begin in Advent and how we can best understand them and embrace them as catechists. I’ve offered a series of articles as well as a webinar to assist in making that happen. All along, people have been asking me, “What about actually teaching these changes to children? Will you have something available to help us?” I’m happy to say YES!
Several months ago, I met with a group of catechetical leaders to brainstorm how to teach the Roman Missal changes to children. From that research, I heard loud and clear the following 2 needs:
- We need something that is designed to not take away excessive time from our already-too-short schedule.
- We need something that doesn’t just teach the changes but teaches the liturgy as a whole and treats the changes within that context.
With that in mind, I am happy to announce a simple approach to teaching the Roman Missal changes to children that involves 3 simple components:
The Come and See (Your Role at Mass) DVD explains the elements of the Mass in a way that children can understand and enables the catechist/catechetical leader (with the assistance of the Leader Guide I’ve written’see below) to teach the Roman Missal changes within the context of teaching about the Mass.
The Come and See (Your Role at Mass) segment is divided into 2 parts:
- Liturgy of the Word (11 mins)
- Liturgy of the Eucharist (12 mins)
* (The DVD also contains 2 other segments, Ritual Matters and A Tour of the Church)
I’ve written this Leader Guide specifically for teaching children (and parents) about the Roman Missal changes within the context of teaching about the Mass, using the Come and See (Your Role at Mass) DVD.
This Leader’s Guide provides a script for the catechetical leader or catechist to pause the DVD along the way and do catechesis on the liturgy, with an emphasis on the new texts of the translation of the 3rd Edition of the Roman Missal.
Take a look at some sample pages from the Leader Guide.
The children (and their parents, if you so choose) follow along using either My Own Mass Booklet (for primary age children) or the Pew Card for Mass (from publishers such as Liturgy Training Publications) to see the texts and to practice praying them aloud with the facilitator.
Consider using these resources in the following formats or adapt to your own needs:
- One Presentation conduct a 75-minute session that leads children (option: and their parents) through the entire liturgy of the Mass.
- Two Presentations conduct two 40-minute presentations for children (option: and their parents), one on the Liturgy of the Word and another on the Liturgy of the Eucharist.
- Five Presentations conduct five, 15-minute presentations for children either as part of a communal gathering before individual classes, or as part of their individual classes, covering the following segments:
- Session One Introductory Rites
- Session Two The Creed
- Session Three The Eucharistic Prayer (part I)
- Session Four The Eucharistic Prayer (part II)
- Session Five The Communion Rite and Dismissal